The Library has long subscribed to Rosetta Stone, a very popular online language learning service. Rosetta Stone has recently chosen to discontinue online access for public libraries. Because of this decision, the library's subscription to Rosetta Stone will end on August 31, 2008.
In its place, the library is offering Mango Languages, an online language learning service similar to Rosetta Stone. Mango offers many more languages including the following:
- Mandarin Chinese
- Brazilian Portuguese
- ESL Spanish
- ESL Polish
- ESL Brazilian Portuguese
Mango also offers the following additional features:
- No downloads – Mango is completely web-based with no downloading required.
- Progress through lessons at your own speed with a native speaker to coach you through each exercise.
- Tests and quizzes to check memory and retention skills
- Grammar and cultural notes
- Phonetic spellings of pronunciations
- Vocabulary and phrase reviews