Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Great Books for Teens!

When I was about 13 or 14, I began to believe that reading things from the Children's Department was something I was "too old for". I began searching the Adult Department for books that would speak to me as a mature young woman, but had trouble finding them. I desparately wanted books for or about teenagers but (incorrectly) believed that they didn't exist.
Years have passed since my teens and I have overcome my Children's Department prejudices. I have learned where to look in both the Adult and Children's Department to find great books for teenagers. This month, with the help of some special teenaged advisors and Ms. Glenda, our children's librarian, I am hoping to shine a light on those corners of our collection with a display devoted entirely to Teen Reads. The week of October 15-21 is Teen Read Week, but we have entirely too many books that would appeal to our teenaged patrons to limit our display to only a week.

Here is just a sample of a few of the nearly 200 books on our list with the young adult stamp of approval!

All I want is everything : a Gossip Girl novel by Von Ziegesar, Cecily
Angus, thongs and full-frontal snogging : confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Rennison, Louise
Bad boy : a memoir by Myers, Walter Dean
Carrie by King, Stephen
The catcher in the rye by Salinger, J. D.
Crossing the wire by Hobbs, Will
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Haddon, Mark
Diary of a teenage girl : a novel by Carlson, Melody
Fat kid rules the world by Going, K. L.
The fire-eaters by Almond, David
Megan Meade's guide to the McGowan boys : a novel by Brian, Kate
Pedro and me : friendship, loss, and what I learned by Winick, Judd
Ptolemy's gate by Stroud, Jonathan

No comments: